Most of the times, acne leaves its marks on skin as scars. These acne scars are the result of inflamed lesions caused by skin pores obstructed with oil, dirt and bacteria. These clogged/blocked pores, swells with accumulated oil and there by bacterial activity. Swollen pores break the follicle wall and causes lesions on the skin. Most of the shallow lesions heal themselves by forming collagen fibres but if the lesions are deep, healing wouldn’t be proper as original and leaves the marks, called scares.
Scars may also be a result of minor surgeries done in accident cases.
There are 2 types of scars.
- Hypertrophic or keloid scarring: excessive healing results into more production of collagen than required. There by it appears as a mass of raised tissue on skin’s surface. Usually they look like lumps at the place of acne.
- Atrophic / depressed scarring: They appears when these is a loss of tissue. when these is no sufficient collagen production and healing is not proper, skin appears as rough surface with shallow and deep scars.
There are three types of Atrophic or depressed acne scars based on the intensity of scarring.
- Ice picks: these are usually small pits but deep.
- Boxcar: It has sharp angles and edges, runs shallow or deep, just like chicken pox scars.
- Rolling: tends to be wide and shallow with damage under skin surface.
- Skin resurfacing by using following methods.
- Chemical peels
- Fillers: increases the volume in deep scars and levels with surrounding skin surface.
- Surgery: skin grafting.