- Psoriasis a chronic skin disease characterized by un predictable course of remissions and relapses.
- It is a common skin condition affecting 2-3% of population almost equal in males : females
- It appears as sorted elevated patches with loose silvery scales at typical sites like scalp, elbow, knees outer aspect of limbs, palms and soles
- It is a multi-factorial genetic disease around 30% of people have family history of the condition.
- The condition appears when triggered by an environmental factor.(winter generally worsens), where as dry and sunny climates are helpful.
- Also stress life events, infections with certain bacteria, viruses, skin injuries and reaction to certain medications can cause it.
- It is not contagious does not spread from person to person
- There are many topical and systematic medicines taken, internally to treat psoriasis and psoriatic arthritis.
(There are about 8-10 variations in psoriasis)
A drug that cures psoriasis is yet to be discovered.
Mild psoriasis- can be treated with emollients, topical Corticosteroids, calcipotrene , vitD analogues, tazoretene, tars, anthralin etc
Moderate to severe psoriasis treatment
Includes: phototherapy, methotrexate acitretin , cyclosporione and Biologic agents
- Biological therapies are the latest advancement in psoriasis. work with the dermatologist to find treatment options that reduce or eliminate your symptoms.
What works for one person for psoriasis might not work for another
Dietary supplementation with fish oil(eicosa pentanoic acid) daily, around 12mg for 6 weeks may improve it.
Alcohol and smoking worsens psoriasis. Treatment is concerned with control rather than cure.
No conventional, alternative, treatments exists that can cure psoriasis.