Good nutrition retards aging process increases immunity, wound healing and protects against various skin diseases
- Alcohol has adverse effect on particularly B-complex, Zinc, and Magnesium.
- Coffee and tea inhibitors of Iron & Zinc
- Vitamin –A:
- Essential for normal functioning of skin, eyes and goudas.
- clinical features of vit- A deficiency-Asteatoses
- Phrynoderma(toad skin)-B-complex, VIT-A, VIT-E and essential fatty acids are needed
- complex and essential fatty acids(ex:- safflower oil)
- Dietary sources -Butter, ghee, whole milk, curd, fish-liver oil all carotene rich foods(carrots, cabbage, tomato, mango etc.
- Excess intake of vit-A causes hyper vitaminosis A (toxicity)
- Vitamin- D:
- D2 (ergocalciferol & D3 cholecalciferol)
- Vit- D helps in absorption of calcium and phosphorous from digestive tract.
- Sources:- fortified foods
Fish lives oil
- Vit D3 is a pro-harmone.
- Adeguate vit-D be obtained by exposure to morning sunlight 200-400IC
- Vit- E is the most important anti-oxidant.
- The vit- E requirement is linked with essential fatty acids intake.
- Nuts, wheat germ oil, whole cereals barley and rice bran oil.
- Vitamin- B1:
- Concerned to the skin it causes burning sensation of pins & needles, glove & stockings type of anesthesia common food sources.
- Un milled cereals, nuts, liver, meat, eggs ect yeast is rich in B1.
- Vitamin- B2:
- Deficiency seen as pallor and maceration of mucosa at angles of mouth dryness of skin,(Angular cheilitis).
- Milk and milk products, eggs, liver, green leafy vegetables are fair sources.
- Vitamin-B3: (Niacin)
- Deficiency causes a skin disease called pellagra along with it decreased B2 and B6, protein intake causes pellagra(rough skin).
- Occurs in middle age individuals patches of redness and dry skin seen around neck, dorsum of hands, elbows, knees and dorsum of legs commonly seen in alcoholics.
- Vitamin- B12: (Cyncobalamin)
- primary deficiency occurs due to inadeguate diet in vegetarians
- B-12 dificiency causes hyper pigmentation (darkness) on the dorsal aspect of hands particularly knuckles.
- Folic acid and B12 are useful to prevent spread of vitiligo.
- Vitamin essential for hair and nails.