Summer is a time of holidays and outings but also lot of skin problems due to warm weather and spending outdoors.
Common skin problems we face are :
- Prickly heat/ heat rash.
- Dry irritated skin.
- Acne break outs.
- Oil Sticky Skin.
- Uneven skin tone, Taming.
- Sun Allergy.
- Sun Burn.
- Insect Bites, Stings etc.,
Prickly heat is due to exscessive heat and over working of sweat glands and clogging pores.
- Tiny itchy bumps commonly seen on the back trunk, These bumps burst and release sweat it can be avoided by loose fitting cotton clothes
- Try to take cool
- Avoid heavy ointments, creams and hash soaps.
- Apply soothing calamine based If severe itching consult your dermatologist he/she may prescribe anti histaminic medicine.
Folliculitis: Can occur any where on body but common on scalp, face, armpits, back, neck etc,.
Infected Follicles look like pimples they are itchy and tender. This can be avoided by changing fresh clothes especially after Gym and exercise activities.
High levels of chlorine in pools can cause skin rash and follicutitis.
Only sticky skin can be treated by mild gentle cleansers and water based moisturizers.
Uneven skin tone: UV sun exposure, heat are the major factors causing uneven skin tone for people prone to pigmentai , it flares up in summer because sun triggers melanin cells.
- Wearing a sunscreen with atleast minimum of 30 SPF and use a mild lightening agent like vitamin C, arbutin, liqorice etc., in the night is
- Another important problem we face is
Dry irritated Skin:
- Air conditioning, pools, water parks, s cause dry irritated skin
- Key is
- Apply lots of moistuiriser with in 5 minutes after
- Use own
- Hydration is the
- Antibiotic ointment can be
Next Common Problems:
Acne break outs:
When sweat, mixes with bacteria, oil on your skin it clogs the pores and aggrevates acne .
- Wiping the sweat can irriate the skin
- Use non comedogenic
- Avoid oil based
- Used mild glycolic acid based face
- Commonly seen in men and
- Especially noticed in summer
- Aggrevated by working out and sweating more
- Also increased by greasy productes in hair conditioners, gels etc,.
- Panthenol in hair conditioners aggrevate
Some people develop lives and skin rashes in sun, noticed by itchy bumps on skin. Protect from sun, apply sunscreen that offer broad spectrmSPF and visit your doctor.
Common myth that heat boils are caused by eating mangoes. Stay hydrated with liquids, water, butter milk coconut water, cucumbers, fruit juices etc., avoid spicy and salted foods limit your tea and coffee in take.
- Wear absorbant powders in sweat prone areas.
- If infections visit your dermatologist tneating your self with over the counter medications and creams worsen your condition use a mild cleanser for Bath with lukewarm water
Increased body odour during summer due to excessive sweating. Our body harbours bacteria and due to moisture there bacteria produce hydrogen sulfide which cause body odour our arm pits have apocrine glands which produce apocrine secretions. Bactera decompose this secretions and produce falty acids which have offensive odour.
Tips to decrease body odour:
Have regular baths use.
Use antifungal and absorbant talcum powders can be used
Your doctor may suggest lotions which can decrease sweating.
Chicken pox, measles occur in summer usually along with high fever and rash visit your doctor for further advise.